Dallas is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 18 km north from Melbourne’s central business district. Its Local Government Area is the City of Hume. At the 2011 Census, Dallas had a population of 6,480.
Dallas was named after the Governor of Victoria Sir Dallas Brooks. The Housing Commission of Victoria built many of the houses in the Dallas area between 1961 and 1970. The Dallas Primary School was built in 1963. Dallas North Primary opened in 1965. Dallas Post Office opened on 21 February 1966, but from 1968 to 1995 was known as Broadmeadows before reverting to Dallas.
Prior to the construction of the suburb the Dallas area was primarily used for agriculture. In 1924 the Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works built a reservoir for reticulating water for the Broadmeadows area.
The ABS reported in the 2001 Census that 28% of Dallas’s residents originate from Turkey. Also, many signs in Dallas are written in both English and Turkish. A large Turkish-Australian community has populated the area.
A mosque (Broadmeadows Mosque) is located in Dallas, on King Street.
Located on Blair Street is the Dallas Shopping Centre.